Background

Friday, June 28, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

I've blogged about making laundry detergent before
But I wasn't completely satisfied with the recipes I'd been using, that and I kinda got bored with it.
I'm sure that just shocked your socks off, right? Me, get bored? Nah!
So, handy dandy pinterest came to my rescue again when I couldn't remember which computer, and where on which computer, I had saved the link to. I'm not one to follow recipes exactly. I don't know why. It's like a challenge issued me by the recipe writer daring me to vary from the written edict by even one iota. Have I mentioned I'm a bit OCD about some things? And yes, I'm sure there is an oil for that!

So what does this amazing, spectacular new recipe include?
I'm so glad you asked!

                    Borax                                                                                       Washing Soda
Go here to read what wiki has to say                                   Go here to read a good description

Octagon soap
& Fels-Naptha soap
For a brief history on Octagon soap, go here. To give you an idea of how long this wonder soap has been around, my great-grandmother used this soap to wash all of her laundry. I still flash back to her kitchen and back porch each time I open a bar! I love that I'm passing that on to my kids...
If you want to know what wiki has to say about Fels-Naptha, the soap with the weird name, go here.


And last, but oh, certainly not least in my life: Thieves!

Go here to read what in the world Thieves is and then
go here with the magic #1434897 to get you some (only if you want to!)



Now step one is to cut up those soap bars into chunks that will fit into your food processor. If you don't have a food processor, that is fine, just grate the soap with a cheese grater or something like that. The smaller the pieces the better.

 My soap waiting to be grated.




I suggest using the pulse button and opening the lid away from your face after grating, or the "smoke" will go up in your face and make you choke while your little girl looks on laughing, threatening to blow on it to make it make more "smoke". Or something similar might happen, not that it is what happened to me or anything.


          The soap pulverized



This is what the soap looked like once I put it into a mixing bowl


The next step is to add the Borax and Washing Soda.
I used
1 c. of Borax
1 c. of Washing Soda


To this mix I added about ten drops of Thieves essential oil and mixed
and mixed until there were no clumps left.

For each load of laundry use 1 tablespoon
Yep! Only 1 tablespoon!

The only step left is to find a pretty jar to put your new Laundry Soap in!
Easy! Peasy!


Normally I would have used a clear glass jar, so I could see how much I have left and know when to make more. However, I moved these canisters out of the kitchen and like the look of them with the antique curtain over the window that was a pink tablecloth edged in green in its former life. Eventually (glad there is no time limit in the definition of that word!) I will finish pulling together all of the elements of the laundry room to give it a shabby chic look, using these canisters, the curtain and an antique, quirky drying rack hanging on the wall for our delicates to dry on. Yep, eventually....







No comments:

Friends of Mine